NOVA Chemicals helps shape a world where products vital to our health and happiness are even better tomorrow than they are today. We are seeking talented and passionate people who enjoy working in a collaborative, innovative environment to join our dynamic team. Through our commitment to Responsible Care®, we take pride in our focus on safety and sustainability. you will be challenged, inspired and supported by your team to deliver your best work.
This position is within our Engineering Services team, which is our sustaining capital group who focus on the successful development and execution of high-quality projects supporting the business units at the Joffre site.
As part of the Engineering Services team, the primary responsibility of the Project Process Engineer is to support sustaining capital projects from concept to completion. The Process Engineer will work in a team environment under project constraints to develop quality fit for purpose engineering work packages that result in completed projects that are safe, reliable, cost effective and meet project objectives.
- Project scope development, process design and technical ownership (authentication) for unit expense and sustaining capital projects through NOVA’s Project Development and Implementation (PD&I) process. This may include, but is not limited to drawings, work packages, equipment specification, data sheets, technical reports and engineering QA/QC. May take on the role of Project Manager for single discipline and micro projects or support the unit in special projects.
- Conduct technical assessments, risk assessments, feasibility assessments and calculations to optimize the design with respect to process safety/process risk, operability, reliability and maintainability
- Work collaboratively with our External Engineering Providers as NOVA’s discipline representative, to ensure efficient, timely and quality deliverables back to the NOVA project team
- Work with Suppliers to optimize equipment specifications
- Work collaboratively with unit Operations, Maintenance and Technical teams to clarify scope, business case justification, business opportunities and potential solutions, engaging the unit Engineers to ensure alignment of scope and project deliverables
- Drive NOVA’s Nature into everything we do (Responsible, Passionate, Innovate, collaborate)
- Participate in the continuous improvement effort for both the Process Engineering technical Network and PD&I process.
- Developing and maintaining close working relationships with operating areas at the Joffre Site
The successful candidate will have a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering with 3 to 5 years of engineering experience in a manufacturing facility. The candidate in this role will also be required to have:
- Comprehensive working understanding of PFDs, P&IDs, heat and material balances for the purposes of project design.
- Experience with a variety of hazard/risk analysis techniques and specific expertise at leading HAZOP studies, SQRA’s, Five Whys or other risk assessment techniques
- Demonstrated background in engineering design within a hydrocarbon facility
- Plant FCM Facility Change Management work is an asset.
- Understand and apply fit for purpose engineering into all designs
- Ability to work independently and manage your own workload with minimal supervision, managing multiple projects and tasks in a dynamic team work environment
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral) with the ability to present or explain information using a variety of formal presentation tools and techniques, ability to influence without authority
The Following additional qualifications / experiences are considered an asset:
- Eng member in good standing with APEGA (or equivalent)
- Plant support process engineering experience
- Familiarity with the Microsoft Office software suite, Aspen Simulation Packages, Aspen Process Explorer, and SAP would be beneficial
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with Operations, Maintenance, and Technical teams
- Ability to contribute and be seen as an informal leader within the team is necessary. Ability to challenge their peers to ensure highest level of performance / quality from team.
- Demonstrated decision making and problem-solving skills, willingness to take initiative
NOVA Chemicals develops and manufactures chemicals and plastic resins that make everyday life safer, healthier and easier. Our employees work to ensure health, safety, security and environmental stewardship through our commitment to sustainability and Responsible Care®. NOVA Chemicals, headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, is wholly-owned ultimately by Mubadala Investment Company of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
The NOVA Chemicals Joffre Site is located in Central Alberta, near Red Deer(Alberta’s third largest city). The Joffre Site is recognized as the largest combined ethylene/polyethylene manufacturing site in North America, and one of the largest in the world. Focus at the site is placed on operations excellence, plant availability and effective capital execution. Attention is also placed on the integration of technology while implementing and optimizing.
The Joffre site provides a wealth of recreational and social opportunities in the surrounding areas, as well as various educational options for children through advanced learning.
NOVA Chemicals’ flexible benefit programs are designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees, because when it comes to benefits, everyone has different priorities. Our benefits offerings will vary based on your work location, and are an element of the “Total Rewards” package used to reward employees.