NOVA Chemicals helps shape a world where products vital to our health and happiness are even better tomorrow than they are today. We are seeking talented and passionate people who enjoy working in a collaborative, innovative environment to join our dynamic team.
Through our commitment to Responsible Care®, we take pride in our focus on safety and sustainability.
As the Process Contact Engineer in Ethylene 3 (E3) you will provide process engineering leadership in support of achieving E3’s business results. You will be part of the E3 Multidisciplinary Teams and work with various disciplines (Technical, Operations, and Maintenance) to address unit priorities.
- Monitor the unit processes and work closely with other disciplines (Operations, Maintenance, etc.) to proactively identify equipment performance problems;
- Technical troubleshooting to determine root causes via data analysis, sound engineering principles, field inspections / testing, etc.;
- Work closely with shift operating team to ensure clear communication of plant constraints
- Drive / facilitate actions to improve plant performance in the areas of Responsible Care, cost, reliability and capacity;
- Work with multi-disciplinary team to address Plant problems and opportunities
- Ensure the operation of E3 continually meets NOVA’s Responsible Care and Loss Prevention Standards.
- Support E3 Operational Excellence initiatives to identify and evaluate improvement opportunities;
- Support production planning and reporting requirements;
- Participate in the development and tracking of Key Performance Indicators;
- Review and input on plant processes and procedures;
- Participate in the identification, planning and execution of major unit turnaround work.
- Lead PSV sizing reviews and upgrade projects in area of responsibility
- Develop, support and lead unit projects in your area of the Plant
- Support and facilitate risk assessments (SQRA, What-If, HAZOP and LOPA) for projects and maintenance activities in area of responsibility
- Participate in area PHA revalidation program
- Provide E3 Billing accounting support
- Initiate Capital Project ideas and provide technical support to Engineering Services
The successful candidate has a Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering 4-6 years of related plant based engineering experience. In addition, the successful candidate will possess:
- Excellent interpersonal, and communication skills, building relationships with deferent level of working groups (Operations, Maintenance, Technical, Leadership and JV partners)
- Interest and enthusiasm for understanding plant process equipment operation, troubleshooting, design, and optimization.
- Ability to manage your own workload with minimal supervision, managing multiple projects and tasks in a dynamic work environment
- Demonstrated commitment to Responsible Care
- Demonstrated troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Eng. or eligibility for APEGA certification
- Demonstrated computer skills with experience in data analysis
The following qualities are considered an asset:
- Knowledge of SAP
- Olefins experience
- Working knowledge in PSV and relief systems sizing (iPRSM or similar software)
- Working knowledge of Aspen products
- Familiarity with Joffre Site Work Procedures (JSWPs), in particular Management of Change and impairment procedures
- Familiarity with the Experimental Operating Instruction process
NOVA Chemicals develops and manufactures chemicals and plastic resins that make everyday life safer, healthier and easier. Our employees work to ensure health, safety, security and environmental stewardship through our commitment to sustainability and Responsible Care®. NOVA Chemicals, headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, is wholly-owned ultimately by Mubadala Investment Company of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
The NOVA Chemicals Joffre Site is located in Central Alberta, near Red Deer(Alberta’s third largest city). The Joffre Site is recognized as the largest combined ethylene/polyethylene manufacturing site in North America, and one of the largest in the world. Focus at the site is placed on operations excellence, plant availability and effective capital execution. Attention is also placed on the integration of technology while implementing and optimizing.
The Joffre site provides a wealth of recreational and social opportunities in the surrounding areas, as well as various educational options for children through advanced learning.
NOVA Chemicals’ flexible benefit programs are designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees, because when it comes to benefits, everyone has different priorities. Our benefits offerings will vary based on your work location, and are an element of the “Total Rewards” package used to reward employees.