NOVA Chemicals helps shape a world where products vital to our health and happiness are even better tomorrow than
they are today. We are seeking talented and passionate people who enjoy working in a collaborative, innovative environment to join our dynamic team.
Through our commitment to Responsible Care®, we take pride in our focus on safety and sustainability. You will be challenged, inspired and supported by your team to deliver your best work.
NOVA Chemicals has an exciting opportunity for an Operations Engineer to join our team located at our Beaver Valley Plant Site. The Operations Engineer position will have responsibilities in several areas including Responsible Care, Quality and Engineering.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Participate on Planned General Inspections (PGIs).
- Utilize the Responsible Care Learning System (RCLS) for documenting Incidents, Audits, and Safety Interactions.
- Complete recommendation/action items & reviews for Audits and Incidents in RCLS.
- Actively participate in the Incident Investigation process, utilizing root cause analyses. Accountable for timely completion of all RCLS recommendations and follow-ups to area Safety Audits and Nova Responsible Care Audits.
- Initiate, review, and approve Facility Change Managements and participate in the Pre-Startup Safety Reviews.
- Authorize and approve A and B-Permits.
- Incorporate principles of Responsible Care and Process Safety Management in all design and troubleshooting work.
- Utilize the ESS Compliance Management System to compile and report ARCEL/Ext/Utilities/Liquid Handling area information into the Compliance Management System.
- Participate in NOVA FSA and RC Audits.
- Process Hazard Analysis evaluation/re-evaluation team member for ARCEL/Extrusion/Utilities/Liquid Handling and address follow-up recommendations as needed.
- Attends monthly safety/staff meetings.
- Ensure that procedures, projects, documentation, and system modifications are in accordance with NOVA LPS guidelines.
- Identify process capabilities and reduce process variability using Six Sigma Tools.
- Assist in identifying areas for process improvements and provide systems to correct quality deficiencies.
- Provide troubleshooting in the ARCEL and D3 Extrusion Areas to resolve production non-conformance issues involving safety, environment, production, and quality.
- Investigate, understand and resolve customer complaints.
- Reviews Cost of Poor Quality in assigned area, investigates root causes and develops recommendations to reduce off grade
- Troubleshoots process upsets and processing issues in the ARCEL/D3 Extrusion/Utilities/Liquid Handling Operating areas and initiates corrective actions.
- Assists in troubleshooting DCS issues and in making DCS changes when required.
- Utilize Operational Excellence tools to reduce costs and improve efficiency of the ARCEL/D3 Extrusion/Utilities/Liquid Handling processes.
- Utilize Operational Excellence tools for developing improvement ideas to reduce costs and improve overall processing, efficiency, and throughput. Ideas may be Capital, Expense, or Process / Procedural opportunities.
- Monitor process performance through DCS data.
- Monitor daily production data – SAP Production Planning Module (reactor production, closing production orders, material transfers, and goods movements).
- Able to complete Reactor Production/Packaging SAP entries and resolve monthly discrepancies.
- Provide back up support to Site Associate for:
- Creating Production Order numbers in SAP
- Entering Production into SAP
- Reporting off grade material volumes
- Perform ARCEL, D3 Extrusion, Utilities, and Liquid Handling interlock checks.
- Initiate, monitor, and close-out ARCEL and D3 Extrusion Scale-Up Requests (SUR’s). Provide Technical coverage when required.
- Update and approve ARCEL and D3 Extrusion formularies.
- Develop and support ARCEL/D3 Extrusion/Utilities/Liquid Handling Management of Change (MOC) process, including FCM’s and PPCN’s. Initiate, approve, and close-out.
- Develop and issue Process and Procedure Change Notifications (PPCNs).
- Lead and participate in PSSR’s for projects and inspections for FCM’s.
- Prepare, manage, and implement expense projects including scope, execution, and start-up.
- Participate on capital project teams for ARCEL/D3 Extrusion/Utilities/Liquid Handling Operating areas.
- Lead and participate in commissioning and start-up of capital and expense projects.
- Participate in ARCEL and D3 Extrusion P&ID reviews.
- Attends operations meetings weekly.
- Member of the PSM Subcommittee
- Provide back up support to coordinator for maintaining BOM’s in the ARCEL and D3 Extrusion Operating areas.
- Provide back-up support to the ARCEL/D3 Extrusion and Utilities/Liquid Handling Production Maintenance Support Coordinators (PMSCs).
- Provide back-up support to the ARCEL/D3 Extrusion and Utilities/Liquid Handling Coordinators.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Applied Science or equivalent, with typically 2 to 5 years of related engineering experience in a manufacturing environment
- Well-developed communication skills to effectively communicate internally with Coordinators, hourly Shift Technicians, Maintenance, and PMSC; and communicate externally with vendors and suppliers, both new and existing. Ability to professionally communicate with tact and diplomacy to convey technical information clearly.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills in various areas including process improvements.
- Ability to troubleshoot equipment, DCS systems, address various quality issues.
- Skilled in using SAP in the maintenance, manufacturing and quality modules.
NOVA Chemicals develops and manufactures chemicals and plastic resins that make everyday life safer, healthier and easier. Our employees work to ensure health, safety, security and environmental stewardship through our commitment to sustainability and Responsible Care®. NOVA Chemicals, headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, is wholly-owned ultimately by Mubadala Investment Company of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
The NOVA Chemicals Beaver Valley Site is located approximately 25 miles northwest of Pittsburgh. The Beaver Valley Site manufactures expandable styrenics products including ARCEL®, a premium moldable foam resin for packaging high-value consumer products.
The Beaver Valley site’s primary focus is on commercial, manufacturing and technology functions.
NOVA Chemicals’ flexible benefit programs are designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees, because when it comes to benefits, everyone has different priorities. Our benefits offerings will vary based on your work location, and are an element of the “Total Rewards” package.