NOVA Chemicals is experiencing significant growth and we are looking for talented and passionate people to work in our collaborative and innovative organization. As a Responsible Care® company, we are committed to safety and sustainability, we are a respected community partner and we take pride in being a leading producer of plastics and chemicals that make everyday life safer, healthier and easier.
We are currently seeking a Compliance & Controls Analyst who will work with individuals and teams across the organization to understand and assess business processes, systems and controls and their impact on Financial reporting. The Internal Controls team is a second line of defense group within the Risk and Assurance function at NOVA Chemicals. We are responsible for an enterprise-wide ICFR (Internal Control Over Financial Reporting) program which includes scoping, control testing, deficiency evaluation, remediation facilitation, reporting and providing technical internal control expertise to the business.
- Administration, maintenance and security of a SharePoint repository that houses our internal control information, templates, data, evidence records, etc.
- Periodic validation of process narratives, key controls, primary contacts, critical spreadsheet data, distribution lists, risk rankings, etc.
- Periodic enterprise-wide scoping of accounts and disclosures (includes both quantitative and qualitative considerations), control critical applications, spreadsheets and models.
- Interviewing company personnel and performing process walkthroughs to identify key control points and create / maintain documentation e.g. narratives, flowcharts, risk matrices, etc.
- Understanding IT policies, standards, systems development methodology and other applicable industry accepted computing practices and helping to perform technology focused risk assessments.
- Performing design and operating effectiveness testing of controls over significant accounts, disclosures and processes.
- Analyzing, documenting, and monitoring testing issues identified, including root cause analysis, control failure identification, level of significance assessment and remediation plans.
- Reviewing and interpreting internal and external audit reports and assisting with remediation of findings / recommendations specific to control gaps
- Monitoring the enterprise-wide environment for developments, new processes or changes to existing processes to identify those impacting controls
- Development and delivery of training materials to ensure customers and stakeholders are knowledgeable on internal control requirements, design and ownership
- Identifying and/or assess opportunities to optimize process and controls through improved control design, automation or standardization (best practice) then drive transformation efforts towards greater efficiency and value.
- Collecting, analyzing and reporting of team metrics and KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) that measure team performance and help identify areas for improvement
- Setting annual objectives that are aligned with and contribute towards the overall objectives, targets and strategies of NOVA Chemicals.
- Developing and maintaining effective working relationships within the team and with customers/stakeholders across the business
- Developing your existing audit and controls related skills through on the job and formal technical training to maintain a current level of expertise relating to professional standards and emerging industry and technical developments, including COSO, PCAOB guidance and emerging technologies and best practices.
- University/college graduate in Accounting, Finance, Business or IT with 3 plus years of direct relevant experience Note: preference given to candidates having achieved or enrolled in relevant designation programs (e.g. CIA, CISA, CPA, etc.).
- Accounting firm and/or corporate internal audit function experience working with SOX, ICFR, and internal control design and operations from both an IT and Finance perspective.
- Strong theoretical and practical knowledge of processes, risks, and controls principles (e.g. COSO 2013, GAAP, SOX, IT ISACA audit concepts, and leading business practices)
- Intermediate level experience with Microsoft Office (i.e. Excel, Word, SharePoint, VISIO and PowerPoint) and SAP applications.
- Demonstrated diplomacy, interpersonal, communication (written and verbal) and presentation skills with ability to speak persuasively and defend complex positions effectively
- Demonstrated project management skills and ability to undertake change management
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills with ability to apply judgement and reasoning
- Ability to work in a team environment but also be self-motivated and able to work independently on assignments with limited supervision.
- Ability to manage time and activities to complete tasks as required and to monitor personal performance against pre-determined measures.
- Commitment to continuous learning about the business and processes and maintaining subject matter expertise on SOX and related regulations methodologies and best practices
- Ability to thrive in ambiguity
About the Company
NOVA Chemicals develops and manufactures chemicals and plastic resins that make everyday life safer, healthier and easier. Our employees work to ensure health, safety, security and environmental stewardship through our commitment to sustainability and Responsible Care®. NOVA Chemicals, headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, is wholly-owned ultimately by Mubadala Investment Company of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.