NOVA Chemicals’ strategic priorities include growing significantly. Our strategy leverages our ability to deliver game changing technology and create an exceptional customer experience to help meet the growing consumer demand for polyethylene in the Americas. We are looking for innovative, passionate people who are focused on success. If you are interested in being challenged, inspired and supported by a team to deliver your best work while making everyday life healthier, easier and safer, come join us on this exciting journey.
We are seeking a Process Control Engineer who will provide process control and equipment project management for our Technology facilities. This position will be located at our Centre for Applied Research (CAR).
- Leading, developing and maintaining process control design, configuration, simulation, standards, documentation, and training;
- Design, installation and programming with a variety of hardware and software platforms (e.g. PLC, DCS, SCADA, HMI);
- Technical consultant on Process control, facility/equipment troubleshooting and modifications;
- Project leader for capital and expense projects for our Technology facilities with varying degrees of complexity. This will include:
- Prepare and present business cases for projects;
- Utilize the Project Development and Implementation (PD&I) process: investigation, development, implementation, validation and commercial operation;
- Provide project status updates to Leadership and clients.
- Prepare engineering/contractor bid packages;
- Provide direction for work provided by Consultants/Contractors;
- Construction supervision and project controls (Responsible Care/cost/schedule/quality);
- Understanding and application of Facilities Change Management, hazard and risk assessment processes;
- Understanding and application of process safety principles
- Ensure compliance with Responsible Care standards and City of Calgary permit process;
- Support Technology Responsible Care committees and teams;
- Provide input to Facility improvement, upkeep and maintenance strategy.
Bachelor of Science in Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, or Chemical Engineering with a professional engineering designation from APEGA with a minimum of 5 to 8+ years of related experience is required. In addition, the ideal candidate will have:
- Process Control knowledge and background is preferred;
- Knowledge of codes (ASME, API, NFPA, Alta Building/Fire codes, Canadian Electrical Codes) is required;
- Strong understanding of loss prevention practices, standards and codes and their application to facility and risk management;
- Knowledge of mechanical equipment design, installation and operating requirements;
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to manage competing priorities;
- Ability to work independently and within a multi-disciplined team environment;
- Working knowledge of SAP - Project system;
- Excellent interpersonal, decision-making and analytical skills;
- Background in facility engineering and construction;
- Familiarity with the use of software for project design, scheduling and cost estimates;
- Experience in project management; project management certification would be an asset;
- Experience in Chemical Industry, Research and Technical Service environment would be an asset;
- Demonstrated commitment to Responsible Care.
NOVA Chemicals develops and manufactures chemicals and plastic resins that make everyday life safer, healthier and easier. Our employees work to ensure health, safety, security and environmental stewardship through our commitment to sustainability and Responsible Care®. NOVA Chemicals, headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, is wholly-owned ultimately by Mubadala Investment Company of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
The NOVA Chemicals technology center is located in Calgary, Alberta. The state-of-the-art facilities, comprised of the Centre for Applied Research and Centre for Performance Applications, focus to support technological advancements in the polyolefins and olefins fields.
The technology center is recognized as the largest in Canada.
NOVA Chemicals’ flexible benefit programs are designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees, because when it comes to benefits, everyone has different priorities. Our benefits offerings will vary based on your work location, and are an element of the “Total Rewards” package used to reward employees.