NOVA Chemicals helps shape a world where products vital to our health and happiness are even better tomorrow than they are today. We are seeking talented and passionate people who enjoy working in a collaborative and innovative environment to join us on this exciting journey. Through our commitment to Responsible Care®, we take pride in our focus on safety and sustainability.
At NOVA Chemicals, we are looking for Operations Technicians to be a part of our Olefins Plant located in Geismar, Louisiana. The successful candidates will be responsible for troubleshooting, operating and maintaining equipment such as cryogenic processing equipment, caustic/amine treating equipment, fired heaters, turbines, pumps, engines, compressors, gas processing pneumatic and electronic controls and distributing process control systems. From processing plants to pipelines and compressor stations, we depend on the skills and dedication of our technicians to deliver the performance our customers expect. We’re looking for entry level to highly skilled technicians who will enjoy being part of our collaborative team.
- Operate complex equipment such as controls that regulate flow, pressure and temperature of feedstock products and chemicals
- Be responsible for proper mechanical functioning of equipment
- Observe and determine from controllers and recorders malfunctioning equipment and process operation
- Make scheduled routine inspections of operating areas to observe operating conditions and report any irregularities
- Collect and record operating data, run a variety of routine control checks during operation and make appropriate operational changes to ensure maximum plant efficiency
- Take composite samples of liquefied gases for quality control and process efficiency
- Install, repair and modify equipment as necessary to meet various operational requirements
- Follow standard practices and procedures as established for plant operations
- Be required to observe and practice at all times plant safety rules and regulations
- Perform all necessary housekeeping duties in area
- Lend assistance and perform other duties as required
- Know plant emergency shutdown and shelter in place procedures
- Know area specific emergency procedures and firewater systems
- Observe all environmental regulations and procedures
- Participate in all phases of Process Safety Management including the MOC program and PSSR walk downs
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Application and PC skills
- Must be available for some overtime during nights, weekends and holidays
- Support mechanical and instrumentation control activities associated with turbines, compressors, amine, and measurement systems to ensure balances are within the established limits
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to stand, walk, climb, bend, stoop, and squat for long periods of time
- Willingness to accurately operate 4X4 vehicles
- Willingness to work in extremely hot and cold temperatures and enclosed spaces
- Ability to carry and lift items that can weigh 50 lbs. or more
- Ability to climb ladders over 20 ft. in height
- Possess an Associates’ degree in Process Technology and/or 1 year chemical plant experience
- Hold a minimum of (1) year experience as an Operations Technician
- Previous experience with distillation equipment, gathering facilities, dehydration equipment, caustic/amine units, measurement equipment, compression, pumps, and pipeline equipment, fired furnaces
NOVA Chemicals develops and manufactures chemicals and plastic resins that make everyday life safer, healthier and easier. Our employees work to ensure health, safety, security and environmental stewardship through our commitment to sustainability and Responsible Care®. NOVA Chemicals, headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, is wholly-owned ultimately by Mubadala Investment Company of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
Located just south of Baton Rouge and employing more than 120 people, the olefins facility in Geismar, Louisiana, annually produces approximately 1.95 billion pounds of ethylene and 114 million pounds of polymer grade propylene. It also produces 13 million gallons of crude butadiene and 14 million gallons of Debutanized Aromatic Concentrate per year.
Relocation will not be considered for these roles.
NOVA Chemicals’ flexible benefit programs are designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees, because when it comes to benefits, everyone has different priorities. Our benefits offerings will vary based on your work location, and are an element of the “Total Rewards” package.