NOVA Chemicals is experiencing significant growth and we are looking for talented and passionate people to work in our collaborative and innovative organization. As a Responsible Care® company, we are committed to safety and sustainability, we are a respected community partner and we take pride in being a leading producer of plastics and chemicals that make everyday life safer, healthier and easier.
NOVA’s growth has created an opportunity for a highly motivated individual to join our Sales team as an Automotive Business Development Manager who will be responsible for developing business relationships and ARCEL® advanced foam resin sales to ARCEL resin customers, Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 suppliers, and automotive brand owners, through techniques founded on a high level of integrity, openness, and ethical business behaviors. This role will be located in Detroit, MI. This role will require Japanese language skills (verbal and written) in addition to English; Spanish language skills also beneficial.
- Develop ARCEL resin product approvals in global automotive applications
- Be accountable for direct ARCEL resin sales by meeting sales budget at existing customers and by cultivating new customers in defined territory or area of responsibility
- Communicate regularly with customers in person, electronically, and telephonically to understand customer business needs and NOVA opportunities
- Identify market opportunities for ARCEL resin growth and direct any related activities required to capture new business
- Work with customers to qualify ARCEL resin in existing and potential markets
- Structure business agreements with partners and customers in conjunction with NOVA’s legal counsel and management team
- Provide feedback to ARCEL Global Sales Leader and Commercial Business Leader regarding market opportunities and the competitive landscape to support pricing and sales decisions
- Communicate to ARCEL Execution Team to develop sales budget and customer strategies
- Work with Technology group and ARCEL Execution Team to discuss possible new product development and testing needs
- Communicate with customer and colleagues in other geographical areas, i.e. Japan, Europe, China, India, etc. to achieve support on projects that have scope outside of N.A. and to also exchange important ARCEL resin learnings and market intelligence
- Communicate customer volume requirements with the supply/demand team while updating forecasts on an annual, quarterly, monthly, and weekly basis as needed, communicating reasons why there may be changes from the prior forecast
- Report on causes of gaps between sales targets and actual results; anticipate problems, communicate market and customer issues
- Seek to understand customer pricing and the margin impact of services offered to customer in the form of rebates, allowances, credit terms, free material, free equipment, technical support, etc.
- Work with the credit team to establish common acceptable payment terms and encourages customers to abide by payment and discount terms. Initiates customer dialogue when an action is required to support deficient accounts receivables
- Understand margin and customer tiering models to drive continuous upgrade of NOVA customer base
- Communicate with customer service with regards to customer needs, rebates, and order fulfillment, and understand and communicate changes in customer products and location and how these changes affect decisions
- Work directly with customers to resolve issues related to product performance, pricing, delivery and overall support
- Support Technical Service and initiates product sample requests to support new customer / new product trials
- Support Technical Service participation at customer trials commensurate with the size of the opportunity and/or tiering of the customer
- Communicate with Packaging Engineer and members of the Technology Department for direct project development and testing support. Facilitates effective communication for clear action completion dates, test reports or other needed information
- Prepare customer call reports, maintain Account Profiles and Account Plans and distribute reports and plans to the Sales Leader, Commercial Leadership, and other key stakeholders; clearly identify action plans, milestones, and follows up to ensure commitments are kept.
- Understands key issues impacting the automotive industry and attends industry-wide associations as needed
- Monitors travel and business expenses, ensuring money spent is in support of profitable ARCEL sales growth
The successful candidate will have a four-year degree from an accredited university and 10+ years’ experience selling experience in the automotive industry and continued professional development OR 14+ years combination of post-secondary education and automotive industry related experience with a minimum of 10 years selling experience and continued professional development.
- Japanese language skills required (verbal and written) in addition to English; Spanish language skills also beneficial
- Ability to provide information to the ARCEL Execution Team, technical team, and manufacturing, by communicating the customer perspective with respect to quality, scale-up requests, and new product trials and commercialization
- Knowledge and understanding of the expansion and molding aspects of NOVA’s ARCEL resin grades to support proper product choice at the customer location
- Must understand automotive testing specifications to support ARCEL resin approvals in automotive applications
- Ability to work with the technical services team to coordinate and support customer trials
- Capacity to close product and service-related complaints with customer
- Well versed and have a track record of success in implementing sales processes to include reporting, collaborating, value selling and market interface excellence
- Demonstrated ability to execute and deliver results independently while also maintaining excellent internal communications
- Strong customer orientation – proactively provide information and confirm sales terms, follow up on issues, and professionally communicate market dynamics and company position on a regular basis
- Professional and polished communication skills—both written (reporting) and verbal (presentations)
- Self-starter with a positive attitude and a strong desire to learn
- Ability to work independently and deliver strong contributions with minimal oversight but open to coaching, mentoring and continual growth and development
- Ability to develop deep relationships at different levels within large, complex customer organizational structures
- Demonstrated Responsible Care values
Strong business acumen
International travel is required. As such, the successful candidate will be required to have a valid passport.
NOVA Chemicals develops and manufactures chemicals and plastic resins that make everyday life safer, healthier and easier. Our employees work to ensure health, safety, security and environmental stewardship through our commitment to sustainability and Responsible Care®. NOVA Chemicals, headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, is wholly-owned ultimately by Mubadala Investment Company of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
NOVA Chemicals’ flexible benefit programs are designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees, because when it comes to benefits, everyone has different priorities. Our benefits offerings will vary based on your work location, and are an element of the “Total Rewards” package used to reward employees.