NOVA Chemicals helps shape a world where products vital to our health and happiness are even better tomorrow than they are today. We are seeking talented and passionate people who enjoy working in a collaborative, innovative environment to join our dynamic team. Through our commitment to Responsible Care®, we take pride in our focus on safety and sustainability. We are seeking an Environmental Specialist where you will be challenged, inspired and supported by your team to deliver your best work
As the site Environmental Specialist, you will be working collaboratively with the Environmental Specialists and others in operations to provide sustainable solutions and identify proactive improvement opportunities.
- Apply relevant Responsible Care standards, policies and procedures;
- Support NOVA Chemicals sustainability initiatives and develop and promote environmental improvement;
- Complete or support the completion of environmental permit applications;
- Work with multi-discipline teams (eg. Operations, Maintenance, Engineering, leadership, regulators, etc.) and build positive relationships;
- Act as a liaison with regulatory authorities eg. Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change (MOECC), Environment Canada and Climate Change (ECCC), etc.;
- Participate in internal and external audits;
- Coach and assist others in the interpretation and application of related policies, procedures and regulations like O.Reg. 419/05, Reg. 347, and O.Reg 63/95;
- Maintain emission calculations for the plant, including completion of tasks, validation of data, and identification of new calculations or required changes to support National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI) and ON Green House Gas reporting;
- Maintain site/unit specific environmental procedures and incorporation of environmental content in appropriate procedures;
- Coordinate site/unit concerns (soil/groundwater, air, waste, etc.) including improvement ideas and awareness;
- Collaborate with Environmental Program Specialists regarding work in the plants (eg. scheduling, work notifications, unit orientations, equipment operation, etc.)
- Provide additional support to the Environment team including but not limited to: field work and data analysis involving air/noise monitoring, soil, groundwater, waste, surface water, and wildlife management.
The successful candidate will possess:
- Bachelor of Science or Engineering degree (preferably Environmental);
- years of direct experience in an applicable or related industrial or manufacturing environment;
- Certification or eligibility for a professional designation (eg. P.Eng. or P.Geo. or other applicable designation);
- Preference will be given to candidates whose most recent experience is in environmental management/monitoring;
- Must have experience supporting an operations team in a plant environment;
- Previous experience supporting multi-discipline teams in a plant and/or industrial setting;
- Previous experience with air quality – emission calculations, NPRI and greenhouse gas reporting;
- Excellent communication and organizational skills as demonstrated with previous employers;
- Comfortable interacting with internal and external stakeholders, with the ability to take initiative to build positive relationships;
- Demonstrated analytical and troubleshooting skills;
- Ability to interpret technical documentation and apply general knowledge of environmental monitoring principles;
- Self-motivated, focused on results, with the ability to work independently as well as collaborate with others;
- Ability to adapt to new situations and challenges and embrace change and new ideas.
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
NOVA Chemicals develops and manufactures chemicals and plastic resins that make everyday life safer, healthier and easier. Our employees work to ensure health, safety, security and environmental stewardship through our commitment to sustainability and Responsible Care®. NOVA Chemicals, headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, is wholly-owned ultimately by Mubadala Investment Company of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
The NOVA Chemicals Manufacturing East Sites are located near Sarnia, Ontario. The Sarnia Sites focus on the production of ethylene and polyethylene and is recognized as a cornerstone of Ontario’s petrochemical industry.
Sarnia is situated on the south shore of Lake Huron at the headwaters of the St. Clair River, and just an hour from Detroit, Michigan, United States.
NOVA Chemicals’ flexible benefit programs are designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees, because when it comes to benefits, everyone has different priorities. Our benefits offerings will vary based on your work location, and are an element of the “Total Rewards” package used to reward employees.