Senior Research Scientist (Research Scientist, Metallurgy)
Employer: NOVA Chemicals Corporation
1000 7th Ave. SW
- Location of Employment:2928 - 16th Street N.E. Calgary, Alberta Canada T2E 7K7
- Based at the Centre for Applied Research
- Salary: $61.76 to $89.51 / Hour for 40.00 Hours / Week
- Benefits: Relocation Assistance Program, Competitive (flexible) Benefits Program available. Employees can select from: Retirement Plan, Savings Plan/Voluntary Savings Plan, Medical and Dental Benefits, Flex dollars, Flex Hours, Health Care Spending Account, Group Life Insurance, Dependent Life Insurance, Accidental D&D Insurance, Business Travel Accident Insurance, Short and Long-term Disability. Possible Bonus.
- Vacancies: 1 Vacancy
- Terms of employment: Permanent, Full time
- Start date: As soon as possible
- Education: PhD or Master's degree in Metallurgical, Chemical, or Mechanical Engineering or Material Science.
- Experience: 8+ years of experience specifically in metallurgy both from a research and operations perspective in a petrochemical, pipeline or related industry.
- Transportation/Travel Information: Willing and able to travel internationally, travel expenses paid by employer
- Work Location Information: Urban area
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail
- Personal Suitability: Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills, judgement, organized, team player, accurate, ability to multitask. Problem solver, creative, innovative, adaptable. Customer-focused. Able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Additional Skills: Participate in initiating, leading and supervising research & development projects and/or programs.
- Analytical Techniques: Advanced destructive and non-destructive techniques (failure analysis, root cause data-gathering, fit-to-service and life assessment).
- Specialization or Experience: Metallurgist, Materials Science, Engineering
- Manufacturing Sector Experience: Polyolefin-based resins for various packaging applications.
- Specializations in Engineering: Strong knowledge in the fields of metallurgy, material performance, destructive and non-destructive evaluations and strong skills in analytical, experimental and simulation methods to carry out research projects in related areas.
- Specific Skills Responsibilities:
- Excellent understanding of mechanical & chemical properties of ferrous and non-ferrous alloys, metallurgical characterization technique.
- Development of solution techniques, design and construction of experiments and test rigs to solve specific problems/opportunities;
- Ensure accuracy of results. Identify unusual trends. Recommend and take agreed upon corrective actions;
- Suggest improvements to numerical approach, equipment, procedures and processes;
- Coach and mentor engineers and scientist within the team;
- Prepare internal technical reports and external papers for conferences and journal publications.
Work Setting: Research institute, laboratory or centre
How to apply: